Monday, July 21, 2008

Potty Training Joys

Earlier this evening, I left the house for what I thought would be a quick 30 minute trip to pick up my little cousin from football practice. Boy was I wrong.

Not 10 minutes after I arrived at the school, NyCee informs me that she had to potty. Of course she would tell me then. Why would she tell me when we were in the house? Also, this was our first trip out in "big girl panties."

So, I left the school and drove up to the Publix grocery market and we made it just in time. She successfully completed the transaction of pottying. We gave each other high fives, washed our hands, and headed back to the school.

Approximately 15 minutes later after arriving back at the school, NyCee exclaims, "Mommy. Boo-boo. Potty." So, I paused and took a moment between stimulus and response and decide against trying to reason with my two year old as to why she should have done that deed while we were at the Publix. Once again I started the car and drove up the road to the Publix.

We entered the restroom and NyCee just sat on the potty. Everytime I asked her if she had to "put boo-boo in the potty," she replied, "yes, ma'am." So we waited.

While waiting, NyCee decided that she wanted to sing the ABC song, Twinkle, Twinkle little star, the machine song, and shout "Hallelujah Jesus" a couple of times. Again, I paused and took a moment between stimulus and response and again asked if she had to potty. "Yes ma'am" she exclaimed gleefully. So again, we waited.

After spending about 15 or 20 minutes in the restroom at Publix, nothing happened. Zilch. Nada. No prize for the potty. Absolutely Nothing. So she smiled and said, "Mommy all finish potty." Once again, we pulled up the big girl panties, washed our hands and headed back to the school.

Thankfully she did not have an accident as the 30 minute trip turned into 1 hour and 30 minutes because Trevion's football practice did not end until 730p. Not 600p like he told me.

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

Oh my! I hate those beginning outings in potty training. That does it, after this week, Ella is using that toilet I don't care if I have to lock her in the bathroom!