Saturday, February 14, 2009

May Cause Drowsiness -- REALLY?!?!?

When a bottle of medication is labeled, "May cause drowsiness" generally that statement is true. While I recognize side effects occur differently in individuals, I did not expect hyperactivity.

Tyler was prescribed a pain medication after his surgery to be given on a "as needed basis." Well, I didn't fill the prescription until late yesterday evening because he seemed fine. He was a little sleepy but not fussy or in pain.

Around 8pm, he was just done. He'd had a long day and I thought the numbing medication had finally worn off because he just cried and cried. But the pharmacy advised it would have taken 1 and 1/2 hours for the prescription to be ready. I just decided to forgo the wait and took the kids home.

I picked up the medication this morning and then the kids and I went to run a few errands. When we returned home, I gave Tyler a dose of the medication before lunch time. My thought was if he would be sleepy from the medication, then he needed to take it early as to not affect his bedtime. The dose was given around 1130a.

He was so hyper. Nap? What nap? He was on overdrive. He played in the crib for about 2 hours before he wanted to get out. I finally just took him out while I combed NyCee's hair.

I was called into work in the Nursery at church. So, I arrived around 445p and worked until 1030p. Tyler did not go to sleep at all. He just played and played and played. He fell asleep around 400p and slept for about 20 minutes because I had to wake him up so that I could go to work.

He finally tuckered out in the car during the 5 minute car ride home. I put on his pjs and now he is sound asleep.

As for the medicine, well, I just hope no one was injured when I pitched it out the window! Just kidding. It is still in the cabinet but Tyler will not partake of anymore of it.

No comments: