Thursday, October 29, 2009

God In Me

Mary Mary has a song on their latest CD titled, "God in Me." Part of the lyrics are:

Your so fly your so high
Everybody around you trying to figure out why
Your so cool you win all the time
Everywhere you go man you get a lot of shine
You draw like a magnet better yet I have it
Everything you wear people say they got have it
From the sweat suit to the white tee to the Gucci
You can probably say people wanna get like me

But what they don't know is when you go home
And get behind closed doors man you hit the floor
And what they can't see is your on your knees
So the next time you get it just tell em

It's the God in me


Nevermore have those words rang so true in my life. This week has been pretty awesome. I think about how much I have grown in God and how He has developed me during my journey. I use to be very task-focused. I was always a good employee but not a good person. I thought the way to get to the top was to step on people along the way. But Jesus stated, "The son of man did not come to be served but to serve" (Matt 28:20). That is a powerful concept that I have begun to employ in my every day life.

This week, I have received several emails about my customer service and how appreciative people are of my willingness to help them. Some of the emails went straight to my manager. But today was the icing on the cake. I received a dozen white roses from one of the directors at the Dallas, TX location.



Let me clarify before my Grandma Martha gets all excited. (She has been encouraging me to get out and begin dating again. I will Grandma Martha. I promise.) The flowers were from the leadership team at the six locations attached to the central location. Mikal wrote me an email which read, "Everyone has nothing but nice things to say about you. I wanted you to know how special you are and how much we appreciate you." I have never had anyone say such awesome things about my service to them. Probably because I was so funky and mean, people only dealt with me because they had to.

I thought about my old boss, Allie Rue, and how she would smile had she been able to read the wonderful emails I have received this week. It is a complete 180 from the person I use to be. But it's not me. Rather, the God in me. God is amazing. When I stopped focusing on myself and started being people-focused, God made my service known publicly.

I am not a person that likes a lot of fluff and fairies. My mentor, Dionne, makes public acknowledgement of how I serve her all the time and it's quite embarrassing. I just do what God wants me to do with the right heart. I am not looking for recognition or fanfare. But because I don't look for it, God makes sure it happens.

Galatians 6:9 (Contemporary English Version)

"Don't get tired of helping others. You will be rewarded when the time is right, if you don't give up."

No comments: