Sunday, October 25, 2009

Simplifying


In preparation for the upcoming months, I have begun to find ways to simplify my life. What I have realized is single parenting (although NOT God's plan) is a test of time management. My life is not hard, per se. It does require me to be a good steward over time.

Due to my children's ages, they are unable to actively contribute to the household. Meaning, completing chores, etc. Therefore, I have to do it all. While living with my parents, we used paper plates during the week and dishes on Sundays. That is what I have started doing. I would spend an hour every night washing the dishes. Add to that laundry, ironing, cleaning, school work, etc.

In January, my plan is to work a second job teaching online courses. Now, before you get all up in arms. (I can already here my grandparents in Alabama tell me I don't need to that. Just like my father when I told him the plan.) Please read this with an open mind.

Children need you at any age. However, they will need me more the older they get. Right now, I control their sphere of influence. I control their friends and where they go. As they get older and get in school, they will have outside influences and will have to make decision about whether or not they will follow God's design for their lives. That is when they will really need me.

I am the only parent they currently have. (As no one has yet recognized my fabnificentness.) I cannot miss every dance recital, swim meet, etc all in the name of working. A person will work hard at some point in life. Society has it backwards. It plays and goofs off young and then ends up working at 70, 80 years old because so many years were wasted. I would rather work hard at 35 than 65.

Besides, it's only 36 months. I will work two jobs to pay off my student loans. By the time I graduate with my doctorate, I will be completely debt free and have a great start on investments. NyCee will be in 1st grade. I am getting a doctorate so that I can teach which will allow flexibility in my schedule. I am not the traditional stay-at-home mom type of gal. But I do want to be home by the time my husband and children get home from school. Yet, I do not want to be home baking 4th of July cookies. Best of both worlds. But it is going to take some hard work.

I take care of my body. I eat healthy foods. The kids and I do not eat at lot sugar or fast foods. And I do rest contrary to popular belief. This 36 month journey will be for my family. And with God's grace, I will successfully run this portion of my race.

I thought of it in this context, how many hours would I spend watching TV a week if I weren't working and in school? On average, a person can spend 15 hours a week watching TV. And that is just Monday - Friday. If I put that time to use, God will redeem my time and reward my faithfulness.

Hebrews 11:6 (New Living Translation)

6 And it is impossible to please God without faith. Anyone who wants to come to him must believe that God exists and that he rewards those who sincerely seek him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dayna -

You are a strong woman and I am so proud of you. Big hugs and kisses from GA.

Love Allie