Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Potty Success

After combining all the advice that I have received and finding a middle ground about how to start potty training NyCee, we have our first success story today.

When she wakes up in the morning, I sit her on the potty for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Really, I am just trying to acclimate her to the potty as I do not want her to be afraid of it. Normally, she just sits there and looks at me thinking, "Mom, what is going on here? What am I suppose to be doing?"

Since birth, I have always spoken clear concise words to NyCee--not baby talk. So while she is sitting on the potty, I ask her if she has to "pee-pee and if so she must put it in the potty." Well, today my talking paid off. She actually put pee-pee in the potty. I know that she would have relieved herself anywhere and she is not actually potty trained, but it was so fun to congratulate her on this success and to watch her smile and clap with excitement.

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

How fun! Whenever I tell the boys to go potty, if Ella hears me, she insists on sitting up on that big thing as well. She hangs out for like 10 seconds, grabs some TP, drops it in the toilet and is done. Maye one day she'll actually use it for its intended purpose as well! Carrying diapers is such a pain in the butt...like the pun!