Saturday, December 12, 2009

Teachable Christmas Tree

In keeping with family tradition, I was up until 2a putting up the Christmas tree. As a child, we put up the Christmas Tree the weekend of my dad's and sister's birthdays. My nephew is in that mix now.

But I cannot blame all of it on putting up the tree. I was catching up on episodes of my guilty pleasures "Grey's Anatomy" and "Private Practice." But I have been debating for the past several days about how to decorate the tree. Last year, Little Fred was not mobile so NyCee and I fully decorated it. This year, mobile is not a sufficient word for my son.

This morning, NyCee was very excited to see the tree in the living room. I spent the better part of the morning saying, "No son. Do not touch the tree Tyler. Son, back away" while moving him away from the tree.

At some point in the day, I walked out to the living room only to find Little Fred pulling a strand of the garland beads towards their room. Now, the tree is loop-sided with poorly hung garland.

In an effort to keep me from getting upset, I decided this year the tree would be the teachable tree. This is the tree that will be used to teach what things can and cannot be touched. Once the gifts are under the tree, then he will be distracted.

NyCee likes the lights. She walked into my bedroom and proclaimed, "Mommy, I pulled out the white thing (child safety plug) and plugged in the Christmas Tree for Santa." There are so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin. While I thanked her for being such a big helper, we had a little chitty-chat about plugs.

For now: no GLASS bulbs or shiny icicles will be added. Maybe I will add some candy canes for them.

No comments: