Wednesday, September 03, 2008

In Awe...

My day started with a text message at 6a Phoenix time, where my mom exclaimed that she has the Arizona state quarter. This was very exciting news because we have been collecting the commemorative coins since the US Mint started printing them and only Arizona and Hawaii remain to complete the set. When I became coherent enough to respond, I asked where was my quarter? Generally, she receives two quarters at a time and always puts one aside for me. She replied that she only received one but would send me one when she got it. I replied, Good stuff!

Lately, I have taken liking to a new saying. When asked how I am, I respond, "Fantastic! And if I wait five minutes, it will get better!" So later this morning around 10a, I was preparing to attend a bible study at my new church when I received a call from my mom. She was so jovial that I could hardly understand her at first. She exclaimed, "I got an Arizona quarter for you!" She explained that she went to purchase a smoothie, because she had never had one prior to today, and when given the change, the quarter was there. Look how much God cares about the small things that He gave me the quarter that I wanted. But there's more...

Then, I received a call from someone telling me that he received an email about a job that he applied for back in February. "Due to economic conditions," the company had a hiring freeze but the freeze has been lifted and he will begin working 10/13. This is the job that he really wanted. Again, God is so good. But wait, there's more...

Later, I was text messaging with a friend who advised that she received a full 100 points on her research project. Now for those of you who are not in school, this will not be a big deal. For those of you who have had to write a thesis or research project, you feel her joy. Just a few years ago, she suffered the loss of her mother and sister within days of one another. She has had to endure countless surgeries and is still suffering the effects of the initial injury. Yet, she has completed three (3) degrees and been on the President's list at our University during the completion of each degree. The President's list means that she has held a 4.0 GPA while pursuing all three (3) degrees. She will have her Master's in less than 2 weeks and will begin her Ph.D program in October. But wait, there's more...

Another friend sent me a text message advising that she is able to work her part-time job, at her flexibility this month, to make up the difference from her full-time job. She is a flight attendant and generally works a lot of hours every month which takes her away from her husband and son. We were just talking a couple of nights ago about how God ALWAYS provides. She constructed her schedule last month and was no where near the number of flight hours that she normally holds. But yet, God has made a way for her to work, be home, and attend to all her affairs this month. But wait, there's more...

My cousin Cari, not only did she battle and survive breast cancer, she underwent brain surgery to have a tumor removed and was out shopping at Target a couple of days later! Her congnitive abilities are all in tact! God is amazing!

So far, I have received news that five (5) people I know have received jobs. I am excited because I know there is no partiality with God. (Ephesians 6:9). The following scripture best sums up how great God truly is towards us:

"God can pour on the blessings in astonishing ways so that you're ready for anything and everything, more than just ready to do what needs to be done. As one psalmist puts it,

He throws caution to the winds,
giving to the needy in reckless abandon.
His right-living, right-giving ways
never run out, never wear out.

This most generous God who gives seed to the farmer that becomes bread for your meals is more than extravagant with you. He gives you something you can then give away, which grows into full-formed lives, robust in God, wealthy in every way, so that you can be generous in every way, producing with us great praise to God."

2 Corinthians 9:8-11 (The Message)

No comments: