Monday, September 01, 2008

Thoughts

As I read the kids their bible verse tonight, my mind and spirit were renewed with the words of Jesus. Tonight, we read Matthew chapters 7 and 8. The portion in chapter 7 that stood out to me was:

24-25"These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock." (The Message translation)

Jesus told us to build our lives on His words because doing so will ensure that no matter what the circumstance or situation, we will stand firm and strong believing that God has provided a way of escape. This is so very true as it is prevalent in my life.

As I sit at MY desk, in MY office area of MY home, my heart is filled with excitement and gratitude. Just a few short months ago, I couldn't see this time in my life. I couldn't see how I was going to survive with two kids as a single parent. While I recognize that I am not the only woman in the world who has been faced with this situation, it was quite a precarious pickle when it first happened. There were nights when I would lay in bed and the only thing I could pray through my tears was a song that I learned as a little girl. "Jesus loves me this I know. For the bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong. They are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. For the bible tells me so." Reminding myself over and over that Jesus loves me, gave me the strength to face another day.

Another passage that hit home began at verse 7:

7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"

How true is that statement? Either as a parent, you give good things to your children or as a child you recieved good things from your parents. Either way, you understand the principle that Jesus is teaching. So many people questioned my decision to move back to Phoenix without first securing the employment that I was seeking. But the bible tells us, "The just shall LIVE by faith" (Hebrews 10:38). To live by faith is a constant conscience decision. Believe me, I prayed and prayed about this decision and I know in my heart that this is where I am supposed to be. Everything has fallen into place and God has blessed me everyday that I have been here. Literally, every single day.

I have more than enough to fill this apartment and we are not cramped. The kids have plenty of room to play. It is in a central location so I am no more than 20 minutes from everything. My church is 5 minutes up the road, the kids daycare is less than 10 minutes away and I am surrounded by several shopping complexs with every store I need. I bought a mattress for NyCee's bed for $30 (I only needed a mattress because my friend gave me an entire bedroom suit for her), a vcr/dvd combo machine for $12, and a fax, scanner, copier, printer for $40. Not only has God given me everything I need, He has given me things that I want! How wonderful! And daily, I receive more news about things coming into my life.

I am not concerned in the least about getting a job. In fact, I believe that God is causing everything to come into alignment and I will be working my full-time job with benefits in 30 days. I don't care about the economy as I choose to operate in God's system. Jesus said,“If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” The question is not if God can do it, the question is do you believe that God can do it? I have a firm grip on God's word and I am not letting go. God has exceeded my expectations and I am waiting to see what is next.

Instead of focusing on the situation, focus on God's word and know that what you are facing is temporary and will change. I am a living testimony that God's word is a catalyst for change. The word will work if you work the word.

Isaiah 55:8-12 (The Message)
8-11"I don't think the way you think.
The way you work isn't the way I work."
God's Decree.
"For as the sky soars high above earth,
so the way I work surpasses the way you work,
and the way I think is beyond the way you think.
Just as rain and snow descend from the skies
and don't go back until they've watered the earth,
Doing their work of making things grow and blossom,
producing seed for farmers and food for the hungry,
So will the words that come out of my mouth
not come back empty-handed.
They'll do the work I sent them to do,
they'll complete the assignment I gave them.

12"So you'll go out in joy,
you'll be led into a whole and complete life.

2 comments:

Undomestic said...

Thanks for the inspiring words.

Anonymous said...

I love the way God is using you to minister to my spirit. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.