Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Resurrection Day!

I have heard so many powerful messages this week leading up to today, what Christian celebrate as the day Jesus rose and conquered the grave. I looked up the word resurrection to have a clearer understanding of the word. Dictionary.com describes resurrection as:

1. the act of rising from the dead.
2. (initial capital letter) the rising of Christ after His death and burial.
3. (initial capital letter) the rising of the dead on Judgment Day.
4. the state of those risen from the dead.
5. a rising again, as from decay, disuse, etc.; revival.

Number 5 was the most interested definition of them all to me.

This past week, I really struggled with some things: raising two kids alone, the prospect of doing that for the next 18 years of my life alone, my current job does not offer growth, etc. All of these thoughts ran through my mind Friday and really hit me Saturday afternoon. But when I attended Saturday night service, the message was right on time.

Dr. Tom didn't teach the traditional Easter message of Jesus coming to earth as a man, going to the cross for our sins, raising from the dead so that we could live with Him in eternity. That's great. But I have to live here on earth for 80-100 years before going to glory. Dr. Tom's message was about why Jesus did what He did. Why did He come to earth? Why did He carry our sins on the cross? Why did He suffer death and hell? Why?

The answer is simple:
John 10:10b New Living Translation
My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.

In order to have that life, I am the only one who can get it. God's Word is the catalyst to change my life. But I must use God's Word to change my heart which will change my surroundings. While there are some things that are out of my control: I.e., whether or not I will remarry as I can not force someone to take on me and my two children. What I can do is change my tomorrow as it applies to my career path, raising Godly children, living everyday of my life in a way that is pleasing to God, teaching my children the value of hard work, and giving them Godly tools to help them be successful in this life.

So when I look back at the definition of resurrection: number 5 is the most significant for me. Today is a day of revival. A day of new beginnings. A day to become the cause that positively effects my tomorrow.

3 John 1:2 (New King James Version)
Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

Our soul prospers as we read and apply God's word to our daily lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Mz Ida said...

They look soo adorable ! Remember you are the blessed of God !! Nana Ida