Friday, October 05, 2007

What's in a name?

Several people have asked me where the nickname "NyCee" came from. Well, Taylor LaNyse (I changed the "i" to a "y" for the "y" in Dayna) is named after her Aunt Talisha.

Talisha LaNise was born to the union of Fred and Sylvia on October 5, 1979. Talisha suffered from Leukemia and lost her battle at age 5. Approximately 6 years ago, my sisters and I decided to have an age progression photo of Talisha painted for my parents. My mother always talked about how she would have it done the year that Talisha would have turned 21. This was a very hard process as most of the time the process is completed for missing and exploited children. After much research, we found an artist who was willing to take on the project.

It was over a year before the project was complete but when you look at the portrait you can tell that she (the artist) put a lot of love, time and attention into it. We nearly got caught trying to have the portrait done because my sister Tarisa was charged with the task of gathering the photos to send to the artist. My mother went over her house one day and saw the photo albums and flipped out. Tarisa had to make up some lie really fast so that my mother wouldn't kill her. You can only imagine how precious her photos of Talisha are. They are irreplaceable.

Finally, the portrait arrived and my sisters presented it to my parents on Mother's Day May 2002. We really were just so excited to present the portrait that we didn't want to wait until their wedding anniversary in July. My parents were told that although it was being presented on Mother's Day, it was for both of them. I was not present for the unveiling but my mother called me later that night in tears. Of course, I was startled thinking that something was wrong. In a barely audible voice she said, "You all will never know how much that meant to me. That you would love me that much to have that portrait done is something I will always cherish. No matter what gifts you give me in years to come, it will never compare to this one." She repeated that she loved us several times.

Talisha's memory lives on through my niece Taliyah as that is where her name derived from and of course through NyCee. Had Talisha remained in her earthly body, she would have been 28 years old today. "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord." 2 Cor 5:8

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute to our sister. Now the question is: now that you and Boonie have used portions of her name, what does that leave me and my future daughter???? LOL!

Undomestic said...

What a wonderful tribute. I often think of what it must have been like when you all went through such a tragedy and how strong in faith your parents are today. I enjoyed reading this explanation.

Anonymous said...

Tarisa,

Let's see now....um.....there's always.....(can I get a drum roll, please)......FREDERICKA or FREDERICKA or....I have another name, too....what about Fredericka?

daddy

Anonymous said...

When I saw the portrait for the first time, I was moved to tears. The artist did put in a great deal of effort to capture Talisha's likeness. Why don't you post a picture of Talisha so that everyone else can see the beauty of the portrait, and the love the artist put into it to make your gift to your parents so meaningful. PREGNANT ? You go girl. Do you want a boy to complete the set or a playmate for Taylor? No worries, you are young enough to achieve both. Congrats !!! Auntie Roz