Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Party over here

NyCee's normal bed time is between 11:30pm and 12:00am. I can hear all the mothers out there yelling, "What? Are you crazy? You let her stay up that late!" There is a reason for this decision. If I put her to sleep at 8:00 or 8:30pm, she will wake up about 3:30am. The later she stays up, the greater the probability that she will make it through the night.

Sunday night I spent quite a while on the phone with a friend. NyCee played quietly either on the floor or in her exersaucer. Then she began to screech and cry out for attention. My friend realized that it was about 10:30 p.m. and asked if she was still up. I told her yes and explained my reasons for letting her stay up. Well NyCee began to rub her eyes and scratch her ears letting me know that she was ready to go to sleepy town. As my conversation was winding down, NyCee feel asleep. I disconnected the call and arose from the couch to carry her upstairs. The next thing I hear is, "Hi daddy's baby." I looked at her and she is wide awake. I thought, no big deal she will go back to sleep once we get upstairs.

At 2:30am she was still wide awake rolling around on my bed laughing and playing. Several times, I tried to put her back to sleep by attempting to fake her out. I would lay down next to her and close my eyes pretending to be asleep. I would open my eyes to find my child staring at me and then laughing. Finally, I turned off the TV and the lights and she went to sleep. In my bed.

Last night, she slept all night in her bed. Praises to the Most High King! Yippee! I of course, woke up a couple of times to check on her. But there she was sound asleep IN HER BED! I actually had to wake her up this morning for daycare. Progress. We are making progress. I relish the small successes as they bring great joy to my soul!

No comments: