Saturday, October 14, 2006

Simple Things..Will I ever get them?

In a past blog, I explained that I did not know the purpose of the little red stick on the side of the mailbox. These next two stories will serve as evidence that some people have trouble grasping simplicity.

1. I sat down to pay our bills and there are some that I pay on-line and others I mail checks. Our water bill is a payment that has to receive a check. So for the past 9 months, I have been writing the check, placing it with the bill in the envelope, placing a stamp on the envelope, and mailing it.

One day, I had to go to the bank which is approximately two minutes from our house. As I approached the bank, I noticed a building a little offset from the road titled, "Henry County Water and Sewerage Authority." Why is that important? Because it dawned on me that I had been mailing the payment around the corner. I'm telling you the truth. I crack myself up sometimes. I have wasted 9 stamps mailing a payment around the corner. Well, if you think that is funny, just wait until you read the next story.

2. NyCee battled her first real cold a few days ago. The infant Tylenol was not dealing with her symptoms so I bought the Children's version as it addresses each symptom. The problem: children's Tylenol comes with a dispensing cup.

At her age, she uses a syringe to receive the medication. The instruction stated that for her weight she should receive 1.25 mL per dose. So I called my mother, the math wizard, to get help with converting 1.25 mL to either 0.4mL or 0.8mL. My mother asked me a couple of times for the measurements and then gently explained that I would simply add .4 and .8 to get 1.20mL. Because they are the same unit of measure, no conversion is necessary. Or, "You could just pour the medicine in the cup, suck it up in the syringe, and administer it that way" she says gently.

I paused and broke into hysterical laughter as that never dawned on me. Simplicity--how does it allude me?

2 comments:

Undomestic said...

I didn't realize that the INFANT's tylenol was different concentration than the CHILDREN's tylenol. One time Max had a fever, but it just was not getting better. That was because I was giving him the concentrated dosage of the children's medicine. So stupid of me!

Anonymous said...

Now that was funny! It is nice to know that you still can make me laugh.

Stephanie