Monday, December 31, 2007

Reflection?...Nah, Looking Ahead

Most people would agree that New Year's Eve is a day to reflect on the past year. Whether the year has held times that were good or bad, joyous or sad, failures and disappointments. This is done in preparation of setting resolutions for the new year. Resolutions encompass stop smoking and losing weight to everything in between.

Well, I have decided that I will not reflect on 2007. The major positive was that I completed my undergraduate work but most of the year was filled with disappointments and frustrations.

2008 promises to be a very exciting year for me. NyCee will turn 2 years old, her little brother is due in April and I will complete my graduate studies in September. Also, 2008 is a year of change; in that, the completion of my graduate work will open doors for employment opportunities that were once closed due to the lack of a college education. I will be moving to a new city that offers not only a career for me but an environment for my children to grow and develop.

I woke up yesterday morning so excited as if it were Christmas day all over again. I was excited because I can clearly see that I have a bright future. 2007 held several dark days and tear filled nights. But the key concept for me was to learn why Jesus prayed, "Give us THIS DAY our daily bread" (Matthew 6:8-13 is the entire Lord's prayer.) He prayed that way because we can only deal with one issue at a time. When I stopped looking at what I had lost and focused on what I have, my entire outlook on my life changed.

As of today, my circumstances have not changed but my view of them has; which helps me to overcome them and not let the circumstances overcome me. I encourage you to put into practice the words of the Apostle Paul, "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended: but one thing I do, FORGETTING those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead," Phil 3:13

Set your sights on what lies ahead instead of focusing on things that occured. May God bless you in this new year with prosperity, health and all the desires of your heart.

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

I love this post! Isn't it amazing how just changing your outlook on the same situation can be so beneficial and make you feel so different...better! Looking forward to more great things for you in 2008!