Thursday, February 07, 2008

Clingy


There are several reasons why I did not plan to have any more children but one of the primary reasons is my concern for how NyCee will adapt to this change. Lately, she has been very clingy and needy. She was like this when she stopped going to daycare and that was understandable as she was at home with me all day. But within the past couple of weeks, I have noticed that she doesn't want to sit in her chair alone and eat her snack. She wants to eat the snack on my lap. Or if I am cooking dinner, she whines, "Up, Peez" constantly. If I walk out of the room, she immediately follows behind and starts whining and crying. I don't understand what is going on with her.

I try to include her, as much as a 22 month old can be included, in the pregnancy. I let her touch my belly when the baby is moving, and she replies, "Baby." I acknowledge her by saying, "Very good. There is a baby in mommy's belly." But I am really very concerned that she will not adapt well to his arrival.

Granted I am not the only woman in society to have children who are two years apart but I don't have a clue how handle both of them at the same time. How do I chose who gets my attention at what time?

3 comments:

Undomestic said...

First of all, Nycee is just being 2. Her clingyness is normal, as kids go through stages like that.
How will you handle the two? Who will you give attention to? Sometimes you'll give them both attention at the same time...often the baby will just be sitting when Nycee needs you. And other times Nycee will just have to wait for you, whether she wants to or not. Although I think you'll be surprised, she might end up being your little helper with the baby. It will be alright.

Anonymous said...

Dayna:

I have to agree with what Cari says about it's a stage/phase, all children go through it, it will work itself out and you will know how and when which one needs your attention. I also agree with what she said about Nycee being your little helper. I love the fact that you include her and have made her aware of the babies existence, but maybe you need to (age appropriately) explain to her that she is going to be a "big" (emphasize that) sister and you will be depending on her assistance with her "little" (emphasize that) brother. But in my heart of hearts I know that you, Nycee, and Ty will be just fine!

Love you much,
Auntie Nita

Anonymous said...

Trust me it will come to you. Mallie and Max are eight years apart and I am able to give each of them "Mommy time."

Love ~ Allie