Monday, February 04, 2008

Mother and Daughter Day

I decided a few weeks ago that I would set Sundays aside to spend with NyCee and Ty (when he comes along). My reason for this decision is because I have recognized how quickly children grow up and how easy it would be for me to miss it due to work and school and all the other things going on in life. I do not turn on the computer, check emails, attend to school work or any thing else. I try to focus on playing with her and giving her my time and attention.

Yesterday, after church and naptime, NyCee and I enjoyed dinner at Big Boy's Restaurant. (For those of you who are not native Detroiters, I have provided a link for the resturant.) It's not fancy but I recall my parents taking my sisters and I there when we were younger.

As you can see, she enjoyed the slice of banana cream pie we shared. (Several diners in the restaurant spoke of how well she sat up in her chair and ate her dinner and played quietly. You have NO IDEA how good that made me feel.)

After dinner, we settled in to watch the Superbowl. (I am so mad the Patriots let the Giants score a touchdown with 35 seconds left in the game. The Patriots would have had a perfect season-- 17 wins 0 losses. Oh, well) Anyway, I guess NyCee grew bored watching the game because she began playing with my feet. It started when she removed my socks and attempted to place them on her feet. Growing bored with that...

she moved on to putting her baby doll's cups on my feet. That entertained her for quite a while.

All in all, it was a good day and I am glad that I made the decision to have a day for my children. If I start it now, I will be in the habit when I return to work this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is getting so big, and I really miss her!

Undomestic said...

Good for you for making the time. With so many distractions, it's easy to "excuse" ourselves from some much needed one-on-one. I applaud you!