Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Let the cycle continue....



As a little girl, my father had a job where he left for work in the wee hours of the morning. Almost instinctively, as his foot touched the first step to head down stairs to leave for work, my sisters and I would one by one leave our rooms and climb into bed with my mother. My children are no different.

Both start out in their own beds but Ty wakes up and then I just end up laying him next to me and before daylight breaks, NyCee climbs out of her bed and comes into my room. I know some people think that I should be stricter and make them sleep in their own beds and to a degree I agree. During nap time, they sleep in their own room. And even when bed time commences. But I don't want to look back one day and wonder if I hugged them enough while they were small. Or be such a stickler about order that I don't allow my kids to sleep in the bed with me. I am the only person they have in this world to depend on and if they seek comfort sleeping with me while they are in the toddler and infancy stage, then so be it.

Of course, it is a king-sized bed and in theory we should all fit comfortably. But for what ever reason, they both try to snuggle up right next to me and I end up sleeping on the very edge of the bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so waiting for this blog. You know it took eight years to get Mallie out of my bed. She still comes to sleep with me when she has a bad dream and when Max wakes up I always put him beside me. I love it when the kids cuddle with me.

Anonymous said...

At least they don't bring the cereal and milk...not yet. I have awakened to milk dripping down my face, toast being forced into my mouth...oh the joy of motherhood, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world...except Denzel...maybe (Smile)..Love you much. Auntie Roz
P.S. Don't expect it to change anytime soon either, your cousins were still climbing into bed with me every Saturday morning, well into middle school. Hope that it never changes, at least not too soon, 'cause that's real love, baby!I don't usually respond, but this sparked such a warm and fuzzy moment that I couldn't help myself. I read you all of the time though.