Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Nap Time: Who is the true beneficiary?

When I was a little girl, I clearly recall nap time. My mom made no qualms about it. After lunch, it was down for a few zzzz's.

I always thought that naps were for the children's benefit. Taylor gets very cranky and irritable when she is sleepy. She starts whining, scratching her head, and crying. That is my indication that she needs a nap.

Normally NyCee goes to daycare during the week so that I can get my school work done. Well, for the past two weeks she has stayed home because she has been sick. (She was kind enough to pass her germs along to me. I am sure that Lewis is thrilled to have two sick people surrounding him.) Every morning she gets up around 8:30 or 9:00a, gets her bath, and breakfast. I let her play for a couple of hours and then it's nap time. Nap time is the greatest invention since colored hair weaves and drawstring ponytails.

I look forward to 12:00p when she starts fussing and is ready to go to Sleepytown. I enjoy two (2) hours of total solitude and I accomplish so much. I have discovered that the true beneficiary of nap time is: The Mother, The Momster, The Mommy!

My mother never told me the reason we went down for naps is because she needed alone time. How dare she keep this powerful secret? Shame on you mother! Shame on you!

No comments: