Saturday, April 19, 2008

If I were a contraction....

So I went to the see the OB on Wednesday morning and he advised that I was still dilated to 1 centimeter (see Just Comfy). So he advised that on Friday, I was to report to the hospital for testing to determine if he would induce labor. Report time: 5:00a.m. I said, "Okay" and left the clinic.

Shortly after, I went to the library to do additional research for my proposal and was there for about 2 hours or so. Upon returning to my parent's house, I sat down to spend a few hours doing school work before picking NyCee up from the daycare. As I sat down at the computer to check my emails, I had sharp shooting pains that were foreign to me. Initially I thought that I was doing a little too much as I had been up since 645a and had to run errands before my doctor's appointment. But the pains happened in several short successions. (Keep in mind, NyCee's labor was induced so I never felt the contractions due to the medication received before the induction process started.)

So, I called my sister Boonie and asked the following question, "If I were a contraction, would I be a sharp pain shooting through my hoo-hoo." She laughed and replied, "Yes and does it feel like you have to go to the bathroom?" "Yes, it does." So I advised Tarisa, who was at my parent's house with me, that I was going to lay down for an hour to see if the pain subsides. Well, I didn't last 15 minutes.

After picking NyCee up from the daycare, we drove to the hospital and the pains increased. I immediately realized that I was in labor. When I was examined, I was dilated to 6 centimeters. The hospital paged my doctor and he came to exam me and stated that I was at 7 centimeters. Because I was so far dilated, I was unable to receive epidural. I thought I hallucinated when he said that. I started crying asking why not? Why can't I have epidural?

Well, I never received the epidural but thankfully my labor lasted only 3 hours from start to finish. Ty was born at 5:51p.

I don't understand how women choose to have a natural birth because believe me, that was NOT my decision. That was the longest 3 hours of my life. But the result was a beautiful baby boy so the pain was well worth the treasure.

I am so proud of NyCee as she was not startled at all. She didn't stay through the entire process. On several occasions she stated, "Mommy crying." Which I was. And when I stopped she asked, "Mommy. All Better?" Once I was admitted, I had Tarisa take her to my grandmother's house until after the baby was born.

I went from 1 centimeter to 6 in about 4 hours with no pain. Then the last 3 centimeters hit like something I can't even describe. There are no words that can describe the pain and elation that child birth brings. And 20 minutes after it was over, I was sitting up talking as if I had just gone shopping. The miracle of child birth is truly amazing. What's even more amazing to me is that God allows us to be a part of that wonderful process. Now that, is truly priceless.

1 comment:

thedrinkingbulter said...

yeah, when i gave birth to mocha i had an epidural and she slid right out!!! LMAO!