Wednesday, June 14, 2006

What is a new mom to do?

Often times when I speak about my daughter, I tell the story of what a good baby she is. Ever since Ny-Cee came home from the hospital she has slept pretty much through the night. In the beginning she would wake up about 4:30 a.m. or so but now she will sleep until about 6:00 or 7:00 a.m.

Normally I do not let her sleep past 9:30 a.m. When I wake her up, she gets a bath, eats breakfast and plays for a couple of hours. Then I put her down for her nap. Throughout the day, she will nap anywhere that I lay her. The couch, her carrier seat, swing chair—wherever. Except at night.

Last night, she fell asleep in my arms downstairs on the couch. When I say fell asleep, I mean, mouth open, snoring, dead weight sleep. I walked up stairs and laid her in the bassinet. I went into the bathroom to prepare for bed and not five minutes later she was crying. It is absolutely amazing that she wakes herself up when I lay her down. How does she know that she is not in my bed? So I am blessed with a child who sleeps through the night but stuck with an unused crib and a bassinet that has become the diaper, clothes holder thingy in my bedroom.


On one hand I know that I should get her in the habit of sleeping in her bed. However, the flip side is that she sleeps through the night and I choose not to fight with her at 2:00 a.m. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing I can suggest is to begin placing her into her crib or bassinet during the day when she naps. If you do this religiously she would become more comfortable with where she's supposed to sleep. Perhaps then she won't keep waking up at night to sleep in your bed. But what do I know, I couldn't get rid of Deven for the first five years of his life. I used to be just like you, a sucker for my baby, and he totally took advantage of me. Once he could get out of his bed on his own he used to just come into my room and camp out the rest of the night in my bed. I highly sugest you find a way to break the habit, unlike I was able to do. Good Luck!
ps. Read your email. I sent you an O'Connor story.

Anonymous said...

Dayna:

I agree with Trish's suggestion. It will take time and patience on your part, but if you plan to add to your little family, it will be worth it.

Love ya!
Auntie Nita