Friday, June 30, 2006

Got More Milk?

This blog is dedicated to my sister Tarisa who found this story funny. The name of my blog “Wiferhood” was coined due to my status as a new wife and mother. As would any person learning something new, I diligently read the books and manuals provided to the first time moms. According to the manual, breast fed babies drink about 2 ounces each time they nurse. This pattern continues until they are about 3 months old. So I did not think it strange when NyCee would nurse several times a day. According to “the book”, the normal nursing pattern was about 8-12 times a day. So of course, that is what I did.

NyCee and I were in Michigan visiting with family and they noticed that I would leave the room several times to nurse and return in about 15 minutes. Again, I thought it was normal. NyCee began getting formula as a supplement around 8 weeks old or so as I prepared to return to work. I would carry the formula in her diaper bag and would use it when nursing was not convenient.

One day we were visiting my Grandmother Grace and finally she asked why I only nursed for about 15 minutes. I explained NyCee’s eating habits. My mother asked, “How much are you giving her?” I replied, “2 ounces.” My family broke out in hysterical laugher. I was confused as to what was funny. My mother gently explained that newborn babies are given 2 ounces of milk in the hospital and that NyCee should be way past that point. My sister Boonie chimed in, “Feed the child.” Tarisa just laughed. My grandmother explained that when I was 8 weeks old, she began feeding me mashed up navy beans and corn bread. Okay seriously, that is a bit weird. Nonetheless, I pleaded my case by advising what “the book” said. I don’t remember who said it, but I remember hearing, “We are black! Throw that book away and feed the child!”
Well NyCee is now up to 4 ounces a day.

Come on people. Look at her. Does it look like she misses any meals? Honestly, what do you expect from a mother who could eat a piece of chicken and have a glass of water on Monday and cite that it would carry her until Friday?

3 comments:

Just Me said...

I could just kiss one of those fat cheeks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!! That baby looks SOOOO healthy and happy, besides you know I will always promote more eating to anybody!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I think Tarisa coined the phrase "We're black! Throw that book away!" She's the eater of the family, or at least one of them, and she always got something smart (or the real truth) to say...that's why I love her! But, yeah, feed that guh! Feed her till u can't feed no more! v And when I get to the "D" or the "A", "auntie" bobby's gonna make her some real food...and you know I can!!!!