Friday, October 03, 2008

Bold

Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it] (Hebrews 4:16).

Last night while I was getting ready for bed, I heard NyCee shuffle out of her bed and tip-toe into my room. She looked at me and climbed into my bed, getting into "her" spot, curled right up, and went to sleep. The entire scenario lasted about 5 mins but it was so profound to me because that is what God expects for us to do. NyCee knew that she could crawl into my bed and find comfort and peace to rest. So we ought to know that we can boldly approach God's throne for help to endure every situation in life.

My morning started at 300a with a text message with some rather unsettling news. It was not unto death, meaning no one died or anything. But it was just something that I didn't need added to my plate. Let me back up.

God has really been awesome by opening several doors of employment opportunities. I have a part-time job where I work on Saturdays nights and began that job on 09/18. Wednesday, I received another job offer for an additional part time job that is 4 hours a day 5 days a week with a little higher pay. Today, I had two job interviews. Both were openings by God. For the first company, I received an email from the recruiter who was trying to contact me but because I changed my cell number. Therefore, she sent me an email. My cousin put me in touch with her neighbor who has worked for the company for 18 years and she provided me with some insight and spoke very highly of the company. Then on Monday, I received an email from the second company I interviewed with today, stating that there was an opening for a position they felt I was better suited for versus the one I submitted my resume for. So of course, I was so excited at the blessings God granted me.

Now, think about it. Some people are trying to find one job and I have 4 job opportunities. That is awesome! But today, the news I received at 300a was only the beginning. I went to the interview at Company #1 and was subjected to three rounds of interviews with 2 interviewers in each session. The problem: the facility is 35 minutes away from my house and is open 24/7 which means I could be required to report to work at various times on various days. Obviously that would not work for me as a single mother.

When I arrived at Company #2, the recruiter advised me that just this morning, the requirements for the position had changed and while I was a strong candidate, I no longer fit the criteria that the hiring manager is looking for. Nonetheless, I still met with the hiring manager and he was honest and told me that I meet the requirements 80% but he needs someone with the other 20%. However, he will keep my resume in the "mix" for consideration.

So now, I have a choice. I can either continue to believe that God opened these doors for a reason and because He is Omnipotent, He knew the work hours of Company 1 and the requirements of Company 2. Or I can be like the Israelites who God delivered out of Egypt, provided all needs while traveling to the Promised Land, confirmed that the Promised Land was in fact what God said, "We went to the land to which you sent us and, oh! It does flow with milk and honey! Just look at this fruit! (Numbers 13:27), but never entered the Promise Land because of doubt and unbelief. Isn't it safe to assume that God knew there were giants in the Promised Land when He told Moses, "Send men to scout out the country of Canaan that I am GIVING to the People of Israel?" (Numbers 13:1). So it is safe to assume that God was well aware of the giants that I faced today, right?

Last night, I didn't fully understand what God was showing me. Today, I do. I have to stand boldly on His word and His promises in order to enter my Promised Land.

1 comment:

Undomestic said...

Oh it's so hard to make those employment decisions when you have your kids to think about as well. I will pray that the right opportunities and decisions fall easily in your lap!