Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Catch 22

When NyCee was about 12 months old, I attempted to get her off the bottle. However, her father could not stand to see her cry or listen to her whine so he incorporated it back into her daily routine.

Thankfully, I have managed to get her down to only using the bottle twice a day: at naptime and bedtime. In an effort to really get her to kick the bottle habit, I only allow water in the bottle. She is not allowed to have goodies such as strawberry milk, juice, fruit water, or any other beverage that she enjoys. She actually does very well drinking out of her cups and juice boxes. So where is the dilemma you ask? Why not just pull the bottle cold turkey? Because she is now drinking about 16-24 ounces of water a day. (She may have two bottles at nap or bed time before going to sleep.) I can't get her father to drink that much water in a week or month even. I don't want to pull the bottle and she reverts back to her "juice" which is actually flavored water because plain water is good for her. Her skin is healthy and glowing. She is full of energy and spunk. However, I don't want my child to be 2 or 3 years old still using a bottle.

Here we go again: another first time mother dilemma.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dayna:

Reading your blog reminded me of when Charmaine was taken off of the bottle. However, she managed to perform this task on her own, by repeatedly throwing her bottle out of the bedroom window. The first couple of times she did it, I replaced it, but the last time she did it I told her if she threw that bottle out of the window again she would not ever get another one! She threw it out, and that was the last bottle she ever had! Worked for me, because I didn't have to listen to any whining or crying.

Undomestic said...

I have to admit, with my first, Cameron, he was 2 1/2 before he stopped taking a bottle of water to bed with him! Yikes what a bad mom I was. Then I lost it, had 2 nights of screaming for the bottle briefly at bedtime, and then he was absolutely fine. You really just have to get past that first night. And then you'll be surprised how easy it is. I do HIGHLY recommend transitioning to the NUBY sippy cups, which have the very soft sipper part. I had no trouble switching Ella to this from a bottle. you can get them at Target or Walmart.

Anonymous said...

You have been successful in getting her down to two bottles (nap and bedtime), try not giving her a bottle at these time. I bet she will go to sleep without them. She's at a point where she can do without her bottle - probably rather have her cup. This makes her feel that she's a big girl. Try it and see.