Saturday, September 16, 2006

Less than satisfied customer

NyCee and I arrived safely in Port Huron, MI and made our rounds to a few family members. Our trip did not start out smoothly but our arrival in Flint, MI made up for it.

Lewis dropped us off at the curb of the Delta side of the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (Don't dog him out. I told him not to park) I had to drag my large roller bag to the kiosk machine for check-in.

Do you find it amazing that every airline commercial references their customer service and attributes their success to you the customer? Yet, no customer service agents are available to assist you. What customer service am I recieving from the kiosk machine? Are any customer service agents available for assistance? Okay, I am climbing down off my soap box to continue the story.

I managed to check in and am directed to a line to wait for my luggage tag. I bellowed out, "Excuse us. Excuse us!" Because of course, I am pushing her convenient travel center and pulling that bag. Everyone is still standing in their spots. No one has bothered to help me or move their luggage out of the way. I finally make it to the counter and am told, "Your bag is overweight." "Okay", I replied and handed the lady my credit card. I am only over weight by 3 lbs and the charge is $25.00. I am asked, "Can you remove 3 lbs?" "And put it where?", I asked. The problem is that you can not take tolietry items through the security checkpoint. So had I removed the items, I would have been forced to throw them away. Which would have resulted in me buying more items in Michigan. So I just paid the $25.00.

After signing the reciept my bag was tagged with a huge red tag labled, "Heavy."

I am thinking to myself, "If I can pull that bag and push a stroller, how heavy can it really be to a luggage handler?" Then I became rather ticked off about the $25.00. It was only 3 lbs. I would have understood 10 lbs but 3 lbs. Whatever. Our trip after that went without incident. In flint, by the time we walked off the plane, the stroller was in its upright position and the ramp agent connected the car seat for me. So Delta redeemed itself by providing assitance at the end. I am becoming more aware of the problems encountered by laypeople when they travel. No wonder by the time the person reaches the plane, he/she is ready to bite the flight attendant's head off. Truly an eyeopening experience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time when I had to take the 3 kids by myself to Detroit for grandma's funeral and my bag was also overweight a couple pounds. Already in tears because they wouldn't allow anyone to come back with me, I just handed over my credit card. The lady looked at me and also said, "Can you just take something out and put it in your carry on?" "Where am I supposed to put it?" I asked. My bag is filled with baby stuff. Just charge me..I don't care anymore, I relented. She felt bad and ended up not charging me. It's just so ridiculous!!!!! I think the luggage companies make the luggage extra heavy these days, making up most of the alloted weight...it's a conspiracy!