Thursday, September 28, 2006

Seriously?

Classes resumed for me on 09/25 and I chose to enroll in 4 classes this semester. Many of you may think that is a lot but not really if you think about it. I am a stay at home mom and NyCee goes to daycare three or four days a week so that I can "go to class." Lewis is asleep because he works third shift so the house is very quiet.

Lewis is the type of man who needs noise all the time. I can ride in the car without the radio on or sit without the television on. Not my husband. As soon as he gets in the car or walks through the door, he must have sound. This was a huge problem when I first started online classes. The office in our house is off of the master bedroom. So I chose to work down stairs at the kitchen table as to not disturb him. Notice how considerate I am? Even though the office has a door, I knew that it would be better for me to be downstairs so that he can rest. In the beginning, Lewis did not think that way.

When he woke up he would come downstairs, turn on the television, eat breakfast and then ask, "How is school?" My thoughts were, "It was going well until you turned on the t.v." Well, I gently explained that I really want to get good grades in my classes so please do not watch t.v. downstairs during my school hours. He complied.

I said all of that to explain my next story. I logged into each class and printed out the course syllabus as to have a reference point and a guide for the class. (Also, I have found that some professors will test you on this information to be sure that you read it.) Anyway, I was reading my Business 107 Fundamentals of E-Business syllabus and came across this information:

Mid-term examination: This test is open book/notes and will cover the week 1-4 class material.

Final examination: This test is open book/notes and will cover week 6-10 class material.

Does anyone find that little tidbit of information ridiculous? IT'S AN ONLINE COURSE! Someone would be stupid not to use all the tools at his/her disposal. I use the internet, books, powerpoint presentations, etc. Yesterday, I actually went upstairs got Lewis' laptop, sat it next to mine, and logged into the internet so that I could get the correct answers. Why would I just sit there and fail the quiz because I didn't know the information? Seriously, I think that someone should inform my professor that in on-line courses, every test is open book, notes, etc.

No comments: