Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9/11/01

Like many Americans I will never forget where I was when I heard of the 9/11 terrorists' attacks. I was working as a flight attendant for United Airlines and had just boarded a plane at the Washington Dulles Airport bound for Orlando, FL.

The captain walked passed me and said, "An airplane just hit the World Trade Center." I replied, "How does an airplane hit the World Trade Center?" He did not reply and called dispatch for more information.

Shortly following, we closed the airplane door and pushed off the gate. Next, the engines shut down and my flying partners and I thought to ourselves, "Great a ground hold." I was scheduled to do three (3) flights that day and be home by 2:55p.m. I had plans to attend church service that evening. The captain came on over the P.A. system and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I am going to say this as tactfully as I know how. The United States is under a terrorist attack and we have been ordered back to the gate." Everyone on the plane was in disbelief. None of us understood the magnitude of the situation until we stepped off the aircraft and saw the images on television.

Oh how beautiful where those skyscrapers against the New York City skyline.
Those towers represented the strength and ingenuity of Americans.
This a country where you if you can believe it, you can truly achieve it.
My mouth dropped and I stared in disbelief.
Complete shock and horror overtook my senses. I still could not grasp what I was looking at.

I later found out that one of the planes belonged to United Airlines and was filled with co-workers. I had never met any of them but felt so close to them at that moment.
The terrorists' of 9/11 did not win. They tried to get us to turn our backs on the one true and Living God-Jehovah. But we did not. I do not understand why 9/11 happened. However, I do believe that God is in complete control and the situation was not has bad as they hoped. Yes, 2900 people lost their lives that day. But that is minor compared to the 100,000 plus that it could have been. Jehovah is still Lord and Savior of the United States of America. God Bless America!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

things that make you say hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

God is still in control. I spent time praying for the family members and friends of those individuals that lost their lives. May God give them peace, comfort and strength with each passing day.
Mama

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. That day was the beginning of a chain of events that would eventually lead you to Georgia...Lewis...and your sweet NyCee. In fact, if not for 911, I would never have met you. I have always considered you to be my one blessing that came from 911.