Thursday, September 21, 2006

Smaller than a phone booth

As a flight attendant for United Airlines I worked on several types of aircraft. Such as 737's, 757's and 777's shown below.

While the bathrooms are not huge they are big enough for one person. When I flew to Flint this past weekend, I bought the ticket on Delta but the flight was operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines. So the aircraft was a regional jet.

If you think that the bathroom on a regular size aircraft is small, the one on the RJ was ridiculous. Prior to boarding the plane, I changed NyCee's diaper and used the bathroom myself. I did these things to prevent having to use the bathroom on the plane given that I was traveling with her alone. But that darn cup of cranberry juice just could not wait to be released until we arrived in the Atlanta Airport.

So I had to use the bathroom while holding NyCee in this tiny, tiny, tiny room. Boy was that challenging. I managed to undo my clothes, use the restroom, fasten the button on my jeans, and wash my hands all while holding my child. Boy, I am good. Additionally, I am trying not to touch anything in the lavatory. I know that many of you are thinking, "Why didn't she just call the flight attendant and ask her to watch NyCee while she used the bathroom?" Well there are 2 reasons for that. 1. I am a flight attendant and while I have done this for passengers, in this day and age it is just not wise. But most important is number 2. I saw the movie Flight Plan and the flight attendant was in on the conspiracy to kidnap the woman's child. No way. I would tear that plane apart. Okay, that may be a little over the top.

But I worked it out in that lavatory. If Clark Kent could become Superman in a phone booth, I could be supermom and use the lav while holding my child.

No comments: