Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Word in Due Season

Have you ever been in church or watching a preacher on television and felt as though the words that he spoke were designed specifically for you? That is how I felt last night. Lewis and I went to Wednesday night service and I am so glad that we did. My pastor ministered on "The Depth of a Well." On the surface, it seemed like an odd topic or one that would require much explanation. But once he began, I immediately knew where he was going. The text was Genesis 26.

In this passage, God instructed Issac to dwell in Gerar during a time of famine. Although the famine was in effect, it did not impact Issac or his family. They were blessed just as his father Abraham was blessed. (Please take the time to read the passage as it has a powerful meaning and will bless your life. I can not explain it all in depth in the blog.) During the sermon, pastor stated that we must dig wells with depth (being rooted and grounded in our belief in God) so that when a famine (disappointment, hurts, chaos, confusion, hard times, ALL HELL BREAKING LOOSE) comes, we will have the stamina to endure. He stated, "Some people are ready to jump up and move to another state and city when the enemy attacks." Why did I raise my hand in agreement? Why stay in a place where all this chaos is going on? I say just move and start over. Well, pastor went on to say, "God is going to bless you in the midst of this confusion. The blessing may not be tangible but may be the testimony that you will have to help someone else." That was like a slap in my face. (A good slap. A wake up call.) He also stated, 'We live in condemnation for things that God has forgiven us for. We can not dwell on how others treated us or the bad things we have done. If you have confessed Jesus as Lord and asked for forgiveness--the blood of Jesus has cleansed us.'

Who knows why people treat us badly? Who cares? That is their issue to deal with. That has been my problem--I have tried to figure out why my former boss treated me so badly when I resigned. I was a good employee. But you know what? It does not matter. I have to give it to God and let him deal with her. In my heart I know that I was an excellent employee and gave 150% all the time. It's a done deal. As Lewis would say, "Let's move on."

I did not hear the entire sermon because I had to leave the sanctuary to change my child's diaper and was unable to return. (I will explain that story in another blog.) But the part that I received was truly a word in due season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to get a word. I love you. Looking forward to seeing you. Kiss the baby for me and tell Lewis hello.
Love Mama